Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Welcome to "Larry in Ghana"

Many people in my life have asked me to stay in touch during my 27 month stint in the Peace Corps. I figured this might be the best way to do that. In addition, other people might be thinking about joining the Peace Corps or might simply have an interest in Ghana and they might stumble across this blog. I hope it may prove useful for them as well.

Here are the facts as I know them today but one thing I am learning about the Peace Corps is that everything is subject to change!

I have a 3 day orientation in Philadelphia 9/15 - 17. Then to Ghana for 3 months of intensive training with about 50 volunteers. The first two weeks or so will be in the capital city of Accra, on the southeast coast, and most of the remaining time will be in Techiman, close to the middle of the country, living with a host family. That training will be heavily weighted toward culture and language and will also include elements of safety, health, technical training, and Peace Corps policies.

Then on to my assignment. I won't find out the location or the exact nature of my assignment until I am in the 3 months training but I do know that I will be working with the Small Enterprise Development division as a Business Advisor. The general goal is to build the capacity of my host organization to effectively access market opportunities in the local and/or international economies. I'll be working with tourism management committees, small businesses, farmers' or womens' groups or with small scale industries and may also be helping to link business people to micro-credit financial institutions. VERY exciting and VERY scary!!

Not sure how often I will have access to a computer and the internet while over there but I will do what I can to add posts to this site from Ghana to keep you abreast of my experience. I will also add posts before I leave to let you know what's happening with me as I prepare to leave.

I hope this site will be useful, educational, amusing, and most of all, a good way to connect verbally with those who already have a connection in my heart. Thanks for visiting.

12 comments:

WorldMoneyWatch said...

This is Kimberly and Kara. You go, Larry! And keep going!! But come back soon. xoxo

ari said...

Get meeting you and your wonderful friend this weekend. I hope we can get together and play some air hockey before you leave but if not enjoy the ride and contact me if I can do anything for you.

Q

Dharma Kelleher said...

I've added you to my blogroll. I work with a gal who was originally from Ghana.

Have fun. Be careful.

Peace,
Dharmashanti
http://dharmashanti.blogspot.com

rob said...

i can see why you want to leave for ghana. if i had friends who told me they were coming to play air hockey and create the noise that that game does, i would also leave for ghana.

seriously, i want you to know, as i am sure you do, that i will always be there with you, in my daily thoughts. i wish you health, and the best of luck in your new endeavors.

you haven't left yet and already i am thinking of who the person will be that returns in 27 months.

keeping in touch on this site may enable me to understand the person that you may become.

love from your brother rob

Grant&Faye Johnson said...

Larry, Faye just said that Larry is a real server and I added...what a
great guy!I have about 200 pages dictated on a book called "Common Sense Psychology" which Martin would appreciate.
Love,
Grant

Unknown said...

Hi Larry,
Great gumption & tenacity in doing this. Ghana is a long, long way from comfortable Arizona. Stay safe bro. Love, Gail

Nancy Hornyak said...

Hey Larry, your Peace Corp adventure is finally happening...wow! I admire your kind and adventurous spirit. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Take care, be well and be safe!

Hugs to you, Nancy

p.s. my bro Will says hello and enjoy!

Diane Banner said...

Larry.......good on ya, mate! We love your adventurous spirit........keep us posted!

Much love, David and Diane Banner

Carol Winkler said...

Howdy, L'il Bro,

Well, although it's been 40 years since you first told me you wanted to join the Peace Corps, it's actually here!! I still can't quite believe it, but I accept it (and you) whole-heartedly. I am thrilled for you, proud of you, and sad (sorry, can't help it) just thinking about how much I will be missing you.

My chapter of Brandeis has already requested that you address our group when you return. Looks like 'retirement' isn't quite ready for you. Luckily, you're still a kid.

Well, as Robbie already said, we'll be there with you -- wherever 'there' is.

Love,
Car

Merry said...

Well by now I'm sure you are rubbing shoulders with the elephants. I'm sure they will adore you!

Stay safe! We miss you already!

Merry

Grant&Faye Johnson said...

Hi Larry-We wish you the very best of holiday seasons from Smoke Horse Ranch in Cornville Arizona, where the chief entertainer is Fancy Free, or as I call her, "Fancy Pants", our two year old mare, a real character.
Please let us know, not only how you are doing personally, but what this season is like in Ghana,
Love,
Grant and Faye

Anonymous said...

kyrie shoes
golden goose
goyard bag
off white t shirt
gap yeezy
hermes
a bathing ape
off white hoodie
off white x jordan 1
yeezy